"I have been getting questions from people new to the Mac on how to set up Mac Mail to send and receive messages using CableOne," John Carter tells us. Here he gives us step by step and illustrated directions.
Here's John's directions, (you have to be connected to the Internet):
1. Open Mac Mail
2. In the Menu Bar, click on Mail
3. Click on Preferences.
4. In the window that pops up, click on the Accounts tab.
5. In the bottom right of the window, click on the "+" sign to add a new account.
6. In the Add Account window, Enter your full name in the top field.
7. Enter your cableone.net email address in the second field.
8. Enter your cableone.net password in the last field.
9. Click the Continue button in the bottom right. You will then get a pop-up window that appears to be an error message:
10. Click on "Setup Manually"
11. In the next window you will be setting up the Incoming Mail Server:
12. Enter the information as shown above, except use your user name and password.
13. Click Continue
14. In the next window, just click Continue:
15. In the next window you will be setting up the Outgoing Mail Server:
16. Enter the information as shown above for the Outgoing Mail Server. The Description field can be anything you like that will identify that CableOne is being used as an outgoing mail server.
17. Click Continue.
18. The next window will again appear to be an error message:
19. Click on "Setup Manually."
20. In the next window, just click Continue:
21. A summary of what you have done so far is shown next:
22. Click on the Create button to finish.
23. When you return to the Accounts page you should see this:
24. Please be sure to check the box "Use only this server" unless you have other email accounts that you prefer to use.
25. Notice that I have several other email accounts
26. Click on the "Mailbox Behaviors" and the "Advanced" tabs and set up your mail preferences the way you like them. There is no "best" way.
27. Create a test message and send it to yourself. In the Mail window, click on Get Mail if the message does not come in right away. Messages are retrieved according to the time period you set up in the General tab of the Mail Preferences (Check for new messages). # # #